The True Meaning of "Home"

"Where we love is home- home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts."
Oliver Wendell Holmes

The literal definition of a home, according to dictionary.com is "a house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family, or household." Over the past few weeks, while discussing the idea of a community, I now know this to be false. A home does not always have to be someone's house. A home is truly where someone feels as though they belong; that when everything seems to be going wrong they can go there, like home plate.

Luckily enough for me, I have the privilege of having two places to call my home. One is in Rhode Island, with my mom, and the other in Massachusetts, with my dad. With the stress of the day, I often look to these places for comfort not only in the lived-in appeal with my belongings, but also because of the others living there. Community plays a huge role in feeling at home. To be surrounded by people that care about you and can make you laugh is always the real factor.

Another important factor is whether or not the environment is safe. A home should be a place of safety. There should be no doubt that there is any danger whatsoever. Also, acceptance, which is probably the biggest factor. To feel at home should mean that there is no reason to try and impress anyone. You should be loved for who you are and what you become.

No comments:

Post a Comment